The real estate and home-building industry is a massive ocean of opportunity. The entire construction industry is ever-growing as new home construction demands surge. Therefore, there is a need for home-builders associations to help the housing industry. The Wisconsin Builders Association (WBA) is one of those associations, dedicated to helping professionals in the home improvement industry sustain their businesses.
According to the National Association of Home Builders (NAHB), there are 22 associations in the state of Wisconsin alone. It can be hard to choose which association to join and whether it’s even worth it.
In this article, we’ll go over everything you need to know about the Wisconsin Builders Association and whether it’s worth joining it.
Let’s get started.
What Exactly is the Wisconsin Builders Association?
TheWisconsin Builders Association is a certified trade association that is derived by the culmination of 21 local associations across Wisconsin. The association dedicates itself to helping all of its members build safe and robust communities across the state.
WBA was established in 1947, and today, it represents 21 local associations and over 4,000 housing industry professionals. The local associations account for different cities and counties, such as Madison, Stevens Point, Waukesha, Racine, and Milwaukee County, among others.
Some of the significant local associations include the Metropolitan Builders Association, Brown County HBA, Mid-Shores HBA, and Winnegamie HBA.
The following is the Wisconsin Builders Association’s mission statement:
“As a professional trade association, the Wisconsin Builders Association advances the housing industry through government involvement, education, and promotion.”
Furthermore, their vision statement is a reminder of what direction the association wants to go with the housing industry:
“Affordable, innovative, and environmentally-conscious homes accessible to all.”
To stay true to their mission and vision statements, the Wisconsin Builders Association recognizes and distributes awards to members. The awards are based on new ideas, involvement with the industry, and the energy attributed to making WBA one of the top trade associations in the state.
The award programs include Associate of the Year, Builder of the Year, Rising Star, Local Association of the Year, and Hall of Fame. The awards are given out at the annual President Installation Dinner.
WBA also has a philanthropic arm known as the Wisconsin Builders Foundation. Their primary focus is on improving housing by promoting the home-building industry to qualified students while offering educational assistance to members. The foundation also provides training and other charitable resources to promote residential construction in Wisconsin.
What Does the Wisconsin Builders Association Do?
The Wisconsin Builders Association helps advance the housing industry using education, promotion, and government involvement.
Their four primary functions can be summarized by the following:
- Advocacy: WBA uses its influence to advocate the interests of over 4,000 home-building industry members at the state legislative level. This helps improve and refine current housing and construction laws and regulations. As a result, it leads to more affordable housing and construction for Wisconsin residents.
- Education & Philanthropy: WBA’s charitable arm – the Wisconsin Builders Foundation offers scholarships, training, and various other charitable resources to help improve the housing industry. They help students and people learn more about housing, construction, and laws to make sure their future input improves residential construction and housing in Wisconsin. Furthermore, the foundation also offers networking opportunities through events such as golf outings.
- Support Members: The Wisconsin Builders Association provides several complementary and handy resources to all members. The idea is to help members by supporting their businesses and interests. Members have access to a hotline for legal, building code, and safety questions. They also get construction and remodeling contracts and forms, along with a variety of ROI affinity partner discounts. The discounts can be on things like building materials, insurance, travel, and even small business coaching services. Furthermore, they also offer dispute resolutions, help with licenses (such as a dwelling contractor license), and even help in crises (such as the COVID-19 pandemic).
- Empower Homeowners: The association also helps homeowners understand the industry better by providing them various resources. This can include educational and informational resources that can help guide them through the entire home-building process.
The Wisconsin Builders Association also provides the latest news on the industry through a series of press releases to keep members updated.
Why Join the Wisconsin Builders Association?
Being a part of an association can help with many issues you might run into if you’re in the housing industry. There might be issues with labor shortages, over-regulation by the government, lot availability, and even with the future of affordable housing in Wisconsin.
The Wisconsin Builders Association empowers you to not only protect the Wisconsin housing industry, but also to help make it better. Meanwhile, you get several valuable perks that can help grow and expand your housing or construction business.
The following are some of the primary reasons for joining the Wisconsin Builders Association.
Federal, state, and local laws and regulations are continually changing, and at times, they might not be as good for the housing industry. The advocacy privileges you get with the Wisconsin Builders Association helps you advocate for better national, state, and local laws.
You can protect the Wisconsin housing industry and help hundreds of thousands of homeowners and businesses flourish. The improved laws and regulations also enable you to expand and grow your business for the better.
Free Benefits and Discounts
When you become a member of the Wisconsin Builders Association, you open yourself up to several benefits and discounts. They are available to all members, but some of them may require you to qualify.
The following are some of the significant free benefits and discounts you can receive:
- You can get access to health insurance.
- Enter member-only affinity programs to improve your business.
- In certain conditions, you can get hassle-free rebates.
- Through the Wisconsin Builders Foundation, you can receive continuing education discounts.
- Get access to business insurance services. You will also receive travel benefits.
- If you’re a small-business owner, you can get small business coaching and consulting services.
There are also seasonal benefits and discounts that may become available throughout the year.
Credibility and Visibility
Becoming a member of the Wisconsin Builders Association can go a long way in helping your business. You can use the membership to permanently enhance your company’s credibility and visibility among the community and prospective homebuyers and builders.
WBA has been advocating for better Wisconsin housing for over 70 years and has built a strong reputation in the industry. Being associated with WBA can help you and your company quickly gain the necessary trust and recognition to grow and expand.
Being successful in the housing industry requires you to network and develop meaningful connections and contacts. A little word of mouth can go a long way for your business or company.
As a member of the Wisconsin Builders Association, you can get access to multiple networking opportunities. It can help you gain exposure and open you up to new possibilities.
Here are some of the networking opportunities members can get:
- You can attend membership meetings and connect with more than 4,000 other members and industry professionals.
- Attend trade shows to showcase your company and business.
You can also participate in professional and social events such as golf outings. It can help you connect and develop meaningful relationships with fellow housing industry professionals.
As a member, you’ll be open to various new business opportunities and may even get potential clients in the process.
3-In-1 Membership Structure
There are three levels of building associations in the Wisconsin housing industry. As a member of the WBA, you get access to all three.
The 3-in-1 membership structure helps you become a member of your local association, the Wisconsin Builders Association, and the National Association of Home Builders (NAHB).
As a result, you get maximum exposure from all fronts. Getting access to the National Association of Home Builders means that your potential exposure and networking opportunities extend to the entire United States. Such access would be especially useful for businesses and companies that operate in more than one state.
How Can You Join the Wisconsin Builders Association?
If you want to join the Wisconsin Builders Association, the process is simple.
- Go to theNAHB’s website to start the process.
- Enter your ZIP code and click on the ‘Join Now’ option to begin the submission process for your local association. You can also choose the ‘Find My Local Association’ button to learn more about the Wisconsin Builders Association and your local association.
- Click on the Search button, and you’ll be redirected to your local association’s website.
- Enter your details and select whether you’re a builder or want to be an associate or affiliate.
- Continue and become a WBA member.
Make sure you double-check all the information.
Is it Worth It Joining the Wisconsin Builders Association?
Every builder in the home improvement industry wants to build a parade of homes and grow their business. However, doing that requires you to have the right opportunities, connections, and conditions.
Joining the Wisconsin Builders Association can help you develop meaningful connections, open you up to new business opportunities, and allow you to advocate for betterment.
As a builder in the state of Wisconsin, joining the Wisconsin Builders Association can be extremely beneficial and can broaden your horizons. As an associate or affiliate, you can use the association’s reputation to grow and expand. You can also use the platform for advertising and sponsoring for greater exposure.
In any case, joining the Wisconsin Builders Association has several benefits and no drawbacks. It may be just what you need if you’re in the housing and home-building industry.